Monday, July 26, 2010

Good bye, Pio Fuentes: my favorite house guest and sarcastic verbal sparring partner.

This morning, I spammed several friends my usual 'good morning' group message; some friends replied 'good morning' back to me. From another friend's number, I got a reply asking who I was since the phone's contact list was purged; the person who replied said she was my friend's mom. So I replied, "This is Jade, Pio's friend."

She responded: "Hi jade! Pio passed away last june 9 lets pray for him n have fond memories of him tnx"

It took a few seconds for that to sink in. That was 2 days after my birthday. I tried to remember when was the last time I saw Pio -- 3 months ago? He works 2 buildings from where I work but we don't often bump into each other except on those times I'd go down for lunch coinciding with his yosi break.

I can't remember when was the last time I received a text reply from him. Maybe it was one of those casual text messages that I've since erased from my inbox. And now I couldn't stand the thought of removing his number from my phonebook, even though I know I will never be using that number again.

We met through another friend. For some time he became a frequent visitor to the Chairless Apartment. We've slept together a few times, although we never became lovers. We used to look at other building tenants and make up stories of those people, laughing at our sarcastic jokes. We still kept in tough every now and then, even after he stopped dropping by the apartment. Eventually, I also moved out.

I saw him once near El Pueblo: he was on his way home while I was on my way to work. We found out that we were working in the same area. Some time after that, we found out we were working in the same street, with just a building in between our offices.

He was one of the people who shares my frequent sarcasm and condescension towards other people. I wouldn't have to be a goody-two-shoes when we're together, while we trade caustic insults against each other or towards other people. Well, mostly towards other people. He was always a welcome house guest; he would always help me clean up the place, especially when I'm too lazy to do it alone.

His mother said he died in his sleep without mentioning other illnesses. It seems he passed away gently and without pain. I hope that's true. I wish I'd known of his passing sooner, so I could've gone to his wake and said good bye. His mom said that's alright, at least I would remember Pio as I've known him when he was alive.

I'm going to miss you, Pio Fuentes. Rest in peace, brother-sister-friend.

3 comments:

Toshi Alibudbud said...

My condolences, same-birthday friend...

Mark Angeles said...

His mother said he died in his sleep -- tsk..

condolence din..

rOckY Sunico said...

Sorry to hear about your loss Jade.