Thursday, February 10, 2011

Papa Americano.

I overheard a co-worker from the other account requesting for "Papa Americano" to be played over the speakers in the office. The real title is actually "We No Speak Americano" by Yolanda Be Cool and DCUP; it's the latest dance track played on perpetual repeat and booming across the speakers at work. Actually, it was released a year ago, but Filipinos have this tendency to hold on to dance hits far longer than the song's shelf life.

Every time I hear the song, I feel like a seizure is coming over me.

The dance song samples an old Neapolitan song, Tu Vuò Fa' L'Americano by Renato Carosone. It was used in The Talented Mr Ripley; I mentioned this to remind myself that I should see that movie.

The song title could be translated as "You pretend to be American", or more idiomatically, "You're an American wannabe" (thank you, Wikipedia). And because of that, I will try not to dislike the dance song as much. I mean, for it to be played on repeat in a call center by people who have no idea what the sampled lyrics actually means?



That's a really lovely irony.

1 comment:

Athan Mercado said...

apparently, it's on perpetual repeat on love radio, energy fm and almost all jolog stations. que horror!