Sunday, September 27, 2009

Living like a real island person.

I was stranded in my apartment since last night. While the compound wasn't flooded, the street outside and the area from the Mandaluyong city hall up to the Pasig river flooded, with waters reaching 4 feet in front of the city hall. I had to wade through chest-deep waters yesterday afternoon. The rains stopped during the night and I hoped the water would also recede once the rain stopped. But when I looked at the street, it seems that the water is still leg-deep. That means that it's likely thigh-deep near the city hall. I've always found it funny that the city hall is the area of Mandaluyong that is most prone to flooding; you'd think the city government would have done something about it a long time ago. But after yesterday, it's not so funny anymore. Worse thing is, I need to cross the city hall or the banks of Pasig river to reach Edsa or Makati. Even simple tasks like buying food is difficult since I have to go out of the apartment compound. I still am lucky. My leaking ceiling was recently fixed and I was able to sleep on a dry mattress. Power was cut off in our area but there was running water in the apartment for me to wash off the flood waters. I still have some food stocked in the party that'll let me survive for a week. A lot of people in Metro Manila weren't so lucky, I don't even need to watch the news to know about ruined properties, displaced people or shortage of food and clean water. These floods happen in Metro Manila almost every typhoon season, people have considered it part of Metro Manila life. It's becomenormal, most people think it's a Test of Faith from God they have to endure. And anyways, the rainy season will end by October.

No comments: